A Wonderful Time

"Hey there, want to play ball? Want to go to the park and run around like how we used to" You try to get up but your legs are old and the arthritis is kicking in. "Maybe tomorrow, though I don't know how many tomorrows may be left for an old guy like me. We can always just sit here, together on this couch, right?" you rest your weary head upon my lap, "please scratch behind my ears, tell me I'm a good boy!" your tail gives a small wag as I indulge your requests. "I have given you all my love over the years. In return, you kept me well fed, walked me, through the rain, through the snow. Oh, how we loved to play in the snow. I can still remember the first time we went out into it together."
I get up slowly and help you to the car. "Why are you sad, are we going to the park?" You lick my face as the tears stream from my eyes. "It's ok, it's alright Big Guy, I wish you could understand that I know you've done so much for me. I'm no longer useful to you, am I? But we have had some good times. Adventuring through the woods, parks, and fields. I will always be grateful for every sunny day in the park and for every rainy walk we had together. We both know I'm old and I hurt." We arrive at the place. I help you down and out of the car. "Thank you for being patient with me, as I hobble to become a patient for the last time." We get in and reluctantly check-in.
"I have an appointment with Dr. Crawford, it's time." They lay you on the table, I brought your favorite blanket to cover the cold table. I pet your head as you look into my eyes, I wish you could know I am doing this to spare you pain. The doctor comes in and takes out the needle. "I am so blessed to have met you." The doctor injects you.








"Thanks for everything, I had a wonderful time."











Vocabulary:
Arthritis - a condition in which the joints lock up
Weary - tired
Wag - wabe
Stream - a flow of water
Adventuring - Having an amazing fun time
Patient - To tolerate/put up with
Patient - a sick person/animal to receive medical treatment
Reluctantly - unwanting
Spare - to make free of  *in context of story make free of pain

Grammar point: This is a story that uses a lot of adjectives to help set the mood of the story.

Try to list as many emotive words as you can.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Write a short story abouut a memoravle time with an animal you encounter in your life. What made it memoravle?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

  1. Your texts are a pleasure to read. You keep me entertained from start to finish. I started to get emotional towards the end. You have a wonderful way of writing.
    I cannot imagine the pain you went through. I can't even imagine the pain I will be going through when my dog passes away. Having students write short stories about a pet gives them a chance to use vocabulary words previously learned to describe their pet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcos,

    Your story was very well written. I like how your dog is the only dialogue, and how you are the narrator. I still remember having to put my pets to sleep. It is awful, but you are lucky you didn't wait too long. Anyway, the grammar point was also very creative. I like how you asked your students to list emotional adjectives, to go along with the story. Having your students follow up with their own story was also a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Life

As the Crow Flies